Training is fun and very rewarding for both you and your puppy.Labradoodle Puppies have an amazing capacity to learn complex demands quickly.
- Start Training as soon as you obtain your puppy. Puppies learn rapidly but their attention span may be short, so spend 10-15 minutes twice daily.
- Training should be conducted when the puppy is not excited and when the home environment is quiet. Once the puppy has learned a response in one environment, move the training location to progressively more complex and more stimulating environments. That is, the puppy will have to be trained in each environment that you wish it to respond in.
- Learning occurs more rapidly if one person trains the puppy first and then the other family members get involved. Train the puppy using one-word commands like “come”, “sit”, “down” and heel”. Try not to use the puppy’s name in association with the command, as too much verbiage is confusing and slows the learning process.
- Reward appropriate behaviour as soon as possible after giving the command (best within 1/2 second). Give valued rewards such as food, touch and praise every time the puppy responds to a command. You will quickly learn which reward is more valued by your puppy. Once the response is learned, give the rewards intermittently. This will result in rapid learning and make the response more permanent.
- If the puppy fails at any level of training, stop, don’t reward and the training again at a simpler level. How consistently a puppy responds to a command is a function of the degree of training. If a puppy responds only when it feels like it or when the environment is quiet, start again and train more intensely.
- Be patient, never punish. The opposite to a reward is no reward, not punishment. A punishment which causes pain or excitement does not work and generally causes problems. Punishment may also interfere with the owner/animal bond. If the puppy is doing something that is inappropriate, distract it or use the a reward for responding to a command which is incompatible with the unwanted behaviour.
What is the best way to toilet train my puppy?
Crate training is a very successful way to train your puppy. Puppies do not like to mess in their beds. First thing in the morning take your puppy out of the crate- put him/her on a leash and take directly to the spot you have chosen for your puppy to go potty. While they are very young continue to take your puppy outside to the same spot every hour or so while he/she is out of the crate. Soon you will increase these times to longer periods. After each meal wait about 15 minutes and take puppy out to the same spot. If they do not eliminate leave the potty spot to play etc and go back 10 minutes later to try again. It will not take long for puppy to go to that same spot each time she/he needs to go potty.
For more information and vidios on puppy training visit Perfect Paws I love this site!